Really, it’s all about exploration. Curious, thoughtful, and resourceful software developer specialized in Backend Engineering with Ruby on Rails.
My love of learning, communicating, and new experiences (and the outdoors) led me to seize opportunities to work in conservation at Grand Canyon, to live and teach in Japan, and to return to the US to teach in higher education in Colorado.
Then, a chat over coffee with a friend, and a suggestion from a student majoring in CS, led me to a Try Coding weekend in Denver. I felt a new spark solving problems with Ruby code. Now, as a developer, I seek to apply my enthusiasm for exploration, growth and communication to create good things.
Passionate about purpose-driven work. Especially interested in Green Tech and Environment-focused opportunities.
- Denver, CO
- Boulder, CO
- Higher Education
- Adobe Photoshop
DownDraft is an application in which users can get beer recommendations based on the forecast (temperature) and elevation of a planned outing.
- User authentication and log in with Google OAuth
- Service-oriented architecture - Frontend consumes Backend API endpoints for weather forecast, elevation, and beer information
- Flexible and resourceful development when core beer API unavailable, pivot to csv data until a future API can be used
- ActiveRecord queries filter rows by partial style name match and abv
Viewing party is an application in which users can explore movies and create viewing party events and invite their friends.
It features user authentication, a self-referential table for users to add other users as friends, and consumes multiple movie database API endpoints to provide detailed information to users.
Little Esty Shop
Little Esty Shop
Little Esty Shop was a group project to build a fictitious e-commerce platform where merchants and admins can manage inventory and fulfill customer invoices.
It includes a solo extension that adds functionality for merchants to create bulk discounts for their items.
Link to Admin Dashboard: https://esty-shop-bulk-discounts.herokuapp.com/admin/dashboard
Link to a Merchant's Dashboard: https://esty-shop-bulk-discounts.herokuapp.com/merchant/9/dashboard
- Followed test-driven design (TDD)
- Model tests fully cover the data logic of the application
- Feature tests fully cover the functionality of the application
- Implements CRUD functionality for resources using forms (form_tag or form_with), buttons, and links
- Uses MVC design to organize code effectively, limiting the amount of logic included in views and controllers
- Utilize advanced active record techniques to perform complex database queries
- Utilizes advanced routing techniques including namespacing Utilize advanced active record techniques to perform complex database queries
- Consumes an external API while utilizing POROs as a way to apply OOP principles to organize code